The Redstone Chapter of the American Helicopter Society (AHS) Invites Collegiate Applicants for Science and Engineering Scholarship for the 2017-2018 School Year
Scholarship grants are based upon academic merit and other factors and will be awarded to the best-qualified applicants as determined during a selection process scheduled for May 2016. Depending upon endowment income, the value of each scholarship may range from $2,000 to $4,000.
To become eligible for a scholarship award:
1. The applicant’s home of record or the college you will attend must be within the Redstone Chapter’s geographic region (i.e., northern Alabama, northern Mississippi, Tennessee, and Arkansas; see the Administrative Information section below or www.ahsredstone.org for details regarding the Chapter’s boundaries).
2. For the 2017-2018 school year, an applicant must be enrolled on a full-time basis as a student in an accredited degree program at a 4-year university, and must certify their intent to pursue an undergraduate or graduate degree in math, science, computer science, or engineering subject areas following receipt of the scholarship.
3. The applicant must submit the entire Application for Scholarship, sections I through VII (attached).
4. Additionally, each applicant must provide the following Supporting Information:
a. At least one reference letter (academic endorsement) from a professor or dean at your university or a teacher/counselor from your high school (for incoming freshmen only). (Additional letters are permissible, but no more than three reference letters will be considered.) Intern’s letters from deans not associated with current academic endeavors will not be considered.
b. Current, cumulative transcript(s) of collegiate grades (including the most recent final course grades issued). Transfer students must also submit transcripts from all previous colleges. Incoming freshmen must submit transcripts from all high schools attended (including the most recent final course grades issued).
c. Incoming freshmen must submit a copy of your ACT or SAT scores.
d. Awardees will be required to submit a “head and shoulders” color photograph suitable for publication on the Chapter’s web site. Digital photo files are preferred.
e. These supporting items need not be attached to the application, but if submitted separately, they must meet the application deadline of April 15, 2017.
5. With postmark(s) NLT Friday, April 15, 2017, submit the Application and Supporting Information to the following address. E-mail and Fax submissions are acceptable.
Mr. Patrick M. Gomez
c/o Rockwell Collins
420 Jan Davis Drive, NW
Huntsville, AL 35806
1. The Redstone Chapter’s geographic region is defined by the following postal codes:
State Zip Codes
Alabama 35000-35999 and 36200-36299
Mississippi 38600-38999 and 39700-39799
2. Applications will be evaluated by the Redstone Chapter’s Scholarship Selection Committee. Preference will be granted to applicants pursuing math, science, computer science and engineering degrees in support of a career in aviation engineering disciplines.
3. Successful scholarship applicants will be notified by June 30, 2017. Scholarship winners will be recognized during the Chapter’s July 2017 membership luncheon (date TBD) in Madison County, Alabama.
4. In addition to the scholarships, the Redstone Chapter will fund a one-year AHS student membership for scholarship awardees who are not already AHS members.
5. For administrative inquiries contact:
6. Applicants for the Redstone Chapter’s Scholarship Program are also encouraged to consider the scholarship opportunity provided by the AHS Vertical Flight Foundation